Most computers run Windows. Others run Linux, Mac OS, UNIX, Solaris... and many more. But quite a few people
don't grasp the concept of an "operating system", and then you get anecdotes such as these.
Some people in my school were talking about computers.
- Person #1: "I'm gonna get a new Vista computer."
- Person #2: "Well, I'm getting a Compaq. I've been using a Compaq for a long time, and I really like it."
- Person #1: "You should get a Vista because it's better than a Compaq."
From someone who supposedly "made some software":
- Me: "What operating system do you have on your computer?"
- Him: "My computer is a Dell."
- Me: "No, I meant the operating system."
- Him: "Uh, Office 2000?"
- Me: "No, I mean the version of Windows."
- Him: "Windows 97?"
- Me: "Did you hear that Windows Vista was out?"
- Him: "It's 'Veesta'."
- Me: "The word 'vista' is pronounced 'viss-tah'. It says so in my dictionary."
- Him: "Then, your dictionary is wrong!"
I once asked a teacher in a school about 2 computers they had in the classroom: one was an eMachines, the other an older-looking IBM.
- Me: "What operating system do these have?"
- Teacher: "Windows XP."
(I turned on both computers and discovered that, yes, the first one had Windows XP, but the IBM Aptiva had Windows 95!)
- Me: "This one has Windows 95, and this one has XP. Why don't you upgrade?"
- Teacher: "Well, the one that has Windows 95 is an Aptiva, so that means that it is like an XP."
- Him: "My mom just got a new laptop! And it has 512 MB of RAM and a huge hard drive!"
- Me: (I didn't have my new computer then) "What OS does it have?"
- Him: "Windows XP HOME edition!" (He put emphasis on the "home", making it sound as if it was the best thing out there)
- Me: "Well, soon I'm going to get a desktop with XP Media Center Edition. That's the same as XP Home, but with tons more features."
- Him: "Media Center Edition sucks! Home Edition is much better!"
I once showed my friend Linux. He started browsing through the folders of my Windows hard drive, and went to
C:\Program Files\HP Games\Alien Shooter. Then he clicked repeatedly on
AlienShooter.exe (a Windows program) and was surprised/annoyed that it would not run.
- Person A: "How do I find my MAC address on my Vista computer?"
- Person B: "You need a Mac to have a MAC address, stupid!
"If I run Windows on the Mac, will it open up the computer to viruses and things?"